Household Goods and Personal Property Movement

For JBER-E, visit Building 8517, Rm 247, open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, call 907-552-1793/1797/1798/5242, or email

For JBER-R, visit Building 600, Rm 145B, open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, call 907-384-1813/1814/1831/1763, or email

Watch "Improve the Move: A conversation on traditional and third-party moves" here.

Basic Household Goods and Moving Information one-sheet

Changes and new policies   
* The Department of Defense expects to experience industry Transportation Service Provider issues, due to labor shortages, port congestion, and supply-chain disruptions. High demand and low availability may result in service failures. Service members may not receive dates originally requested; flexibility is key.  More information here.

* Shipment of lithium-ion batteries larger than 100 watt-hours is prohibited. Lithium-ion batteries are found in cell phones, power tools, digital cameras, laptops, robot vacuums, small and large appliances, tablets, lawn-care equipment, and e-bikes. They are rechargeable and intended for multiple use. Some are internal and not easily removable, while others may be. Check manufacturer's instructions for battery removal.  More information here. For additional information, like determining watt-hours, click here.

Personally procured/Do it yourself moves:
Did you mail or move any items yourself? If so, bring PCS orders, DD form 2278, and mail receipts with printed weights, or empty and full weight tickets to your travel center, or email signed documents to
If you are planning to move items yourself, use the scale at the Anchorage Landfill (15500 E. Eagle River Loop Road in Eagle River). Call ahead at (907)343-6250.

Commercial moves:
Contact your Transportation Service Provider directly for updated contact and delivery information.
Contact Quality Assurance if you have problems or need assistance during your delivery; or call (907) 229-7022/4482 or (907) 552-4002.

You can file a claim if you notice any damages to your property, either at the time of delivery or after the carrier has left.
The Notice of Loss and Damage Form must filed in DPS or with your transportation service provider no later than 180 days after your household goods are delivered. Your actual claim must be filed within nine months after delivery to receive full replacement value.
Visit for additional guidance and step-by-step instructions to file and process your claim.

Soldiers can visit for three informational HHG claims videos. Soldiers disputing any or all of the moving company’s claim settlement offer or denial must transfer the claim to the U.S. Army Center for Personnel Claims Support at:, phone 502-626-3000 (DSN 464).

Shipping vehicles:
Vehicles are picked up directly at the Anchorage VPC at 300 LaTouche Street, Anchorage, open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Email or call (907) 277-1020. Estimated shipping time is 90 days for OCONUS moves and 30 days for CONUS moves. Documents required: the inspection form and the vehicle title or letter of approval from the lienholder.

Temporary Lodging Allowance

Applies to all military personnel and their dependents assigned to JBER to include Air National Guard and Air Force Reserves.
Please read and review the JBER Instruction 32-6008 on Temporary Lodging Allowances. TLA at departure is increased from three nights to 10 nights in conjunction with a permanent change station, a retirement, or a separation. TLA on an inbound PCS assignment for authorized service members is up to 30 nights. The instruction and applicable forms for TLA can be at the links below.
JBER Instruction 32-6008
TLA Questionnaire
TLA Housing Search Worksheet

SATO and G8 Travel resources

SATO Travel:  855-732-8454 (JBER-E, Bldg 8517/People Center) or 855-732-8455  (JBER-R, Bldg 600)

11th Airborne/USARAK G8 Travel Management: (For DTS/GTCC for division and USARAK Soldiers and personnel) Building 1, Rm 235 and 236 or visit their page.

Looking for Army-specific PCSing information? 
Visit the Army Outprocessing page

Space-A Passenger Terminal Information

Passenger Terminal
10364 18th Ave
JBER, AK 99506 

Recording: (907)552-4616

Passenger agent:(907)552-8388/5189

Fax: (907) 552-3996; DSN (317) 552-3996

Hours: 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.



The 732 AMS Passenger Terminal has vending machines with beverages and snacks, a family lounge, special category lounge, showers, cable TV, fax and an Internet café. JBER has a Hertz Rental Car office at the Joint Military Mall, as well as a food court. There is also a Burger King, Shoppette, and an Armed Services YMCA on base, as well as two credit unions on base and an ATM at the billeting office. Please see our AMC Gram for other base and local area amenities.


For additional AMC Travel information to include Space Available categories, baggage allowances, dependent travel example letters, frequently asked questions and a complete listing of all AMC terminals please visit the AMC travel website here.

AMC Travel