The Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson (JBER) Fisher House provides home-like accommodation to family members while active-duty service members, retirees and veterans are undergoing care at a military medical treatment facility.
The criterion for occupancy is that the guest be either a member of the family or designated care giver of the patient hospitalized at these facilities or a patient in an outpatient status.
Fisher House I (single-story) was built in 2012; Fisher House II (two-story) followed in 2018, providing 28 total rooms.
The JBER Fisher Houses were donated to those in need of lodging by the late Zachary and Elizabeth Fisher of New York.
From 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, call 907-222-1673.
For urgent assistance after duty hours or on weekends and holidays, call 907-444-9009.
Check-in is at Fisher House I; ring the doorbell.
4943 Zeamer Ave
JBER, AK 99506
Fax number: 907-222-2498
What are the Fisher Houses?
The Fisher Houses arecompassionate care facilities located on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson within walking distance of the hospital.
The houses provide a comfortable place to stay, serving families from all branches of the military receiving active treatment at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson hospital. The houses provide a safe and comfortable home away from home for families in need.
Who is eligible to stay at the houses?
Care givers and families of patients from all branches of the military receiving active treatment at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson hospital.
The guests must live outside a 50-mile radius of JBER. Those within a 50-mile radius may be considered on a case-by-case basis if situation requires the need and occupancy allows.
Availability of rooms is provided on a space-available basis. Those in an outpatient status are also eligible, and you may request to have one non-medical attendee (over the age of 18) accompany you during your stay. Priority is given to families of overseas contingency operations, families of critically ill patients and oncology. Patients and guests must be able to care for themselves as the staff does not provide any medical care, assistance, or transportation.
When can I stay at Fisher House?
- Actively receiving medical treatment through base MTF.
- Live outside a 50 miles radius of the hospital
- Able to care for themselves independently.
- Able to exit the building independently in an emergency.
- Must be able to provide their own transportation to and from the medical center and other required locations.
Transportation is not provided by the Fisher House or the base.
- Not a threat to themselves or others
- Not involved in a domestic violence situation that may pose a threat to others in the house.
- Guest must be free of communicable diseases to include chicken pox, shingles, measles, mumps, colds, ﬂu etc.
Who do I contact?
Contact the house managers at 907-222-1673.
Oﬃce hours are 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday. Any calls/messages after 4:30 p.m. will be returned the next business day. The oﬃce is closed on all federal holidays and weekends. If someone is admitted to the Intensive Care Unit, please contact the nurse's station for information.
How do I make a reservation?
Due to limited availability, please contact us with the dates of your treatment as soon as possible.
You will be placed on a waiting list and notiﬁed as soon as a room becomes available. Room requests are taken Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. by calling 907-222-1673. We are closed on all federal holidays and weekends. If you reach voice mail, please leave a message and your call will be the next business day. Please remember we are on Alaska time.
Are volunteer opportunities available?
If you are interested in exploring volunteer opportunities, contact the house managers at 907-222-1673.
1. Alcohol, illegal drugs, ﬁrearms, and pets are not permitted in the house. Smoking is not permitted in or within a 50-foot radius of the house. Please use designated smoking areas. Violation of this rule will result in eviction.
2. For the safety and security of all our guests, please keep the doors locked after normal business hours on weekends and holidays.
3. Per Public Health regulations, guests are not to accept any food items/food donations at any time. Please refer them to the management.
4. The Fisher House is a temporary lodging facility, not a medical treatment facility. Staff does not provide any medical care or assistance; no medical treatment will be permitted in the Fisher Houses.
5. No open ﬂames or candles.
6. Rooms must be occupied daily, unless other arrangements have been made in advance with the house manager. If away from the room for more than two nights, guests must completely check out of the room.
7. Check out time is 11 a.m. unless otherwise arranged.
8. Guests will be responsible for the conduct of their children. They will be always supervised and will not be left unattended. Children must show proper respect and behavior towards other residents, staff, and property.
9. The house is a communal living facility. Respect others' property and remember to secure your own room. We are not responsible for lost or stolen property.
10. You are required to clean up after yourself when you use common areas or common items. You are responsible for emptying the trash in your room and the common areas on weekends. Food and beverages (with the exception of water) are not allowed in the guest rooms.
11. Residents are expected to dress appropriately in common areas. Shirts and footwear are required.
12. All guests must be able to evacuate the facility/house independently in case of ﬁre or any other emergency.
13. Persons with infectious disease often require special precautions. Please notify the staff if you have an illness requiring special arrangements.
14. Only guests listed on the registration form may reside in the house. Any changes must be coordinated with Fisher House management.
15. Quiet hours are from 10 p.m. - 7 a.m. daily. Non- resident guests will not be permitted in the Fisher Houses during quiet hours.
16. It is a privilege, not a right, to stay in the Fisher Houses and is contingent upon agreement to abide by the rules and guidelines of the Fisher House.