The Judge Advocate General's CorpsThe 673 ABW/JA Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson Legal Office provides legal assistance services to eligible beneficiaries.

Who is eligible for assistance?

Active-duty service members and their dependents; retirees and their dependents, Reserve/National Guard members on Title 10 orders, and academy/contract ROTC cadets.
Reservists and Guardsmen NOT in active status can receive the following services if they are within 90 days
of deployment: wills, medical directives, power of attorney, Service Members Civil Relief Act, Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act, and notary services.

What kind of help can I get? We can see clients for the following legal topics, including but
not limited to:

* Wills and estate planning
* Consumer/financial affairs: automobiles, consumer fraud, contracts, credit protection, military sentinel, identity theft
* Family Law: adoption, dependent support, divorce and separation, name changes, and child custody
* Immigration: The legal office can assist eligible beneficiaries with the immigration process. Active-duty military are encouraged to seek assistance with the immigration office on base.
* Landlord/tenant: The legal office can assist tenants. By regulation we are unable to assist landlords.
* Personal Servicemembers Civil Relief Act 
* Taxation (no individual filings)
* Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act 

Steps to See a Legal Assistance Attorney:
1. Visit the Air Force Legal Assistance Web Page: https://aflegalassistance.law.af.mil/. The website has information on many common legal issues and provides worksheets you can fill out online before going in person if you need a will or power of attorney.
2. Complete a Worksheet on the Legal Assistance Web Page. Filling out a worksheet in advance can make your office visit more efficient and productive. To schedule a will appointment, you must complete the will worksheet and provide the Legal Office your ticket number.
3. See a Legal Assistance Attorney via appointment or walk-in (Wednesdays only at Bldg 600).
a. Schedule an Appointment. Call: (907) 552-3048. Appointments are required for:
* will clients (completed worksheet/ticket number required)
* notarizing house closing documents
* notarizing more than five POAs

b. Walk-in Wednesdays at our JBER-Richardson Office (Bldg 600, 3rd Floor).
Every Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3:30 p.m.

Notarization and powers of attorney (POAs): Available on a walk-in basis at the locations/times listed below. As noted above, if you need more than five POAs or need closing documents notarized, an appointment is required. Both offices are closed on holidays, PACAF family days, and wing training days (third Thursday of the month).

People Center (Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
8517 20th Street, Suite 330
JBER, AK 99506

Bldg 600 (Wednesdays 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4:30 p.m.)
600 Richardson Drive
JBER, AK 99505
(907) 384-0371