Colonel Matthew J. Nicholson serves as the Vice Commander, 11th Air Force, JBER, AK. He serves as chief advisor to the Commander in executing the air component mission in Alaska, Hawaii and Guam.
Col Nicholson graduated from the United States Air Force Academy in 1996. He has held a variety of operational, flying and staff assignments including Squadron Command, Eleventh Air Force Director of Operations and Plans, F-1 SC Instructor Pilot, Air Liaison Officer, HQ Air Force Staff Officer, Pacific Command Staff Officer, US Forces-Iraq Staff officer, and Wing Director of Staff.
Col Nicholson is a Command Pilot with more than 2100 hours in the F-15C/D, B-52H, AT-38, T-38, and T-37. He has been qualified as a combat ready pilot since 2000, deploying in support of Operations SOUTHERN WATCH, IRAQI FREEDOM, and NOBLE EAGLE.
2014 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Joint Forces Staff College, Va.
2013 Air War College by correspondence
2009 Masters of Arts, Military History (with Honors), American Military University, WV 2007 Air Command and Staff College by correspondence
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Bachelor of Science, Computer Science, United States Air Force Academy, Col.
01. July 20 to Present: Vice Commander, 11th Air Force, JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska.
02. Jul 18 to June 20: Vice Commander, 36th Wing, Andersen AFB, Guam
03. Jul 17 to Jul 18: Director, Operations and Plans, 11th Air Force, JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
04. Jun 14 to Jul 17: Strategic Capabilities Integration Officer, USPACOM J81, Camp HM Smith, Hawaii
05. Jun 12 to Jun 14, Commander, 507th ADAS, Nellis AFB, Nev.
06. Jun 11 to Jun 12, Director of Operations, 507th ADAS, Nellis AFB, Nev.
07. Jul 10 to Jun 11, Assistant Director of Operations, 57th ATSS, Nellis AFB, Nev.
08. Jun 09 to Jun 10, US Forces-Iraq Plans Air Liaison Officer, Camp Victory, Iraq
09. May 08 to Jun 09, Chief, Air Dominance Branch HAF/A9, Pentagon, DC
10. Oct 06 to May 08, Director of Staff, 33d Fighter Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
11. May 06 to Oct 06, Assistant Director of Operations, 33d OSS, Eglin AFB, Fla.
12. Sept 05 to May 06, Chief of Training and F-15 IP, 60th FS, Eglin AFB, Fla.
13. May 04 to Sept 05, Flight Commander, 49th Fighter Training Sqd, Moody AFB, Ga.
14. Mar 02 to May 04, Chief of Life Support, 49th Fighter Training Sqd, Moody AFB, Ga.
15. Jan 99 to Mar 02, Chief of Safety, Security Manager, 67th FS, Kadena AB, Japan
16. Jun 98 to Jan 99, Student, 95th FS, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
17. Feb 97 to Jun 98, Student and Causal Lt, 47th FTW, Laughlin AFB, Texas
18. May 96 to Feb 97, Assistant T-3 program director, USAFA, Col.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: 2100 hours
Aircraft Flown: F-15C/D, B-52H, AT-38, T-38, T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device and silver oak leaf cluster Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with one star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Iraqi Campaign Medal with one star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant May 1996
First Lieutenant May 1998
Captain May 2000
Major May 2006
Lieutenant Colonel July 2011
Colonel Sep 2017
(Current as of Jul 2020)