Recycling and Pollution Prevention
Environmental Compliance Section is responsible for ensuring JBER reduces the pollution of any type into the environment. This is done through three basic mechanisms reduce, reuse
as explained below.Reduce
is a process that reduces the amount of material used or waste created in a process. Green procurement decreases the amount harmful material used by substituting a material that is more environmentally friendly. Process improvement may decrease the amount of harmful material used and harmful waste made. Examples include using earth friendly cleaners, auto soap concentration dispenser and using a soak time in combination with and high temperature high pressure low volume rinse.Reuse
is using a waste product from one process as a useful product in another process or using a material multiple times. Examples include solvent filtering for solvent reuse or using concrete rubble for riprap or erosion control. Reuse resources on JBER include the following;
· HAZmart will accept select unopened unexpired government hazardous materials.
· DRMO (12755 Davis Highway) will accept government equipment that is operating or near operational condition.
· Thrift shop (724 bldg Quartermaster Drive) and Bargain Shop (20th and Sharp) both accept personal sellable items.
Recycle is collecting material that will reprocessed into a raw material to be used to make another useful product. Examples of items that JBER's collects to be recycled include the following;
General use containers across the base are used to collect
· white paper
· aluminum cans
· Scrap metal
Hazardous Waste Center pickups
· used oil
· fluorescent lights
· batteries (lithium, lead-acid, nickel-cadmium, alkaline)
Other materials recycled on JBER
· Cooking oil ( Alaska Waste
· Construction material
Other local pollution prevention resources