Colonel Michael W. Grismer, Jr is the Vice Commander, 3rd Wing, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska. The 3rd Wing provides the commander, U.S. Pacific Command, trained and equipped tactical air superiority forces, all-weather strike assets, command and control platforms and tactical airlift resources for contingency operations and also provides the commander, U.S. Northern Command, immediate early airborne detection, warning, surveillance and interception of hostile forces within the Alaskan North American Aerospace Defense Command Region. The wing flies the F-22, C-17, C-130, C-12 and E-3 aircraft and is responsible for over 2,200 assigned Airmen.
Colonel Grismer was commissioned in 1992 following his graduation from the United States Air Force Academy, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering. He began his career as a civil engineering officer before graduating from Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training. Colonel Grismer has served in a variety of flying and supervisory positions including C-21A and C-5 aircraft commander, 15th Air Force Commander Aide de Camp, Air Mobility Command C-5 command evaluator pilot, USAF legislative liaison, and operations support squadron commander. Most recently, Colonel Grismer was executive assistant to the USTRANSCOM Commander.
1992 Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO
1998 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, AL
1998 Master of Science Degree in Civil Engineering, University of Texas at San Antonio, TX
2003 Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence)
2005 Air Force Legislative Fellowship, Washington, D.C.
2006 Certificate Program in Legislative Studies, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
2007 Air War College (Correspondence)
2011 Master of Arts Degree in National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval War College, Newport, RI (Graduated with Distinction)
1. July 1992 - July 1994, Chief of Civil Engineering Design, 375 CES, Scott AFB, IL
2. July 1994 - July 1995, Chief of Engineering Resources and Requirements, 59th Medical Wing, Lackland AFB, TX
3. July 1995 - August 1996, Student, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, 47th Flying Training Wing, Laughlin AFB, TX
4. August 1996 - July 1999, C-21A aircraft commander, instructor pilot, evaluator pilot, chief of safety, executive officer, 332nd Airlift Flight, Randolph AFB, TX
5. July 1999 - November 1999, Student, C-5 Initial Qualification Course, Altus AFB, OK
6. November 1999 - April 2003, C-5 aircraft commander, instructor pilot, evaluator pilot, flight commander, junior wing executive officer, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, CA
7. April 2003 - November 2003, Aide de Camp, 15th Air Force Commander, Travis AFB, CA
8. November 2003 - October 2004, C-5 command evaluator pilot, standardization and evaluation officer, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, IL
9. October 2004 - December 2005, Air Force Legislative Fellowship, Washington, D.C.
10. January 2006 - August 2008, Chief, Modernization and Sustainment Division, Congressional Budget & Appropriations Liaison, Headquarters USAF, Washington, D.C.
11. Sept 2008 - June 2010, Commander 375th Operations Support Squadron, Scott AFB, IL
12. July 2010 - June 2011, SDE Student, Naval War College, Newport, RI
13. July 2011 - October 2011, Joint Mobility Officer, USTRANSCOM, J3-E, Scott AFB, IL
14. Oct 2011 - June 2013, Executive Assistant to USTRANSCOM Commander, Scott AFB, IL
15. June 2013 - Present, Vice Commander, 3rd Wing, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, AK
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: 4030
Aircraft: T-37, T-1, C-21A, C-5A/B/C, C-17
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1992
First Lieutenant May 27, 1994
Captain May 27, 1996
Major Jan 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Jan 1, 2008
Colonel May 31, 2013