Col. Brent A. Johnson is the Commander, 611th Air Support Group and Director of Logistics, Alaskan NORAD Region, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska. He is responsible for 40 remote Alaska sites with a $4.3 billion asset value, providing first-line radar, communications, engineering, environmental, and logistics support for Eleventh Air Force and Alaskan NORAD Region. He commands 1 air station, 2 forward operating locations, and 18 remote radar sites supporting air sovereignty, war readiness missions, and homeland defense. He implements government-to-government consultation with Alaska native tribes and works directly with more than 50 communities across the great state of Alaska.
Col. Johnson entered the US Air Force in 1984 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo. Following pilot training, he began his operational flying career in the F-4E Phantom and F-4G Wild Weasel. During Operation DESERT STORM, he served as a Brigade Air Liaison Officer targeting Close Air Support missions against Iraqi Republican Guard forces. Col. Johnson transitioned into the F-15E Strike Eagle and flew extensively over Iraq and Bosnia during Operations NORTHERN WATCH and DENY FLIGHT serving as a Flight Commander, instructor pilot, and evaluator pilot. His tour culminated in receiving the AF level, Lt Col Anthony C. Shine award for his performance during NATO's attack on Udbina airfield, Croatia. He led a division of joint targeteers and imagery analysts in producing focused targeting intelligence for Pacific region operational joint military forces. Col. Johnson deployed to Al Jaber Air Base, Kuwait, and served as the AEF-4 Operations Support Squadron Commander. His squadron supported joint air operations to include primary ground attack and defensive counter-air missions, combat search and rescue missions, national intelligence collection missions, and emergency diverts during Operation SOUTHERN WATCH.
1984 - Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics, USAFA, Colorado Springs, Colo. 1990 - Squadron Officer's School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. 1994 - Master of Aeronautical Science degree, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University 1997 - Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. 1997 - Joint Forces Staff College, Phase II Joint Military Education, Norfolk, Va. 2000 - Air War College, Correspondence 2004 - Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama; Master of Strategic Studies degree
1. July 1984 - June 1985, Undergraduate Pilot Training, T-37/T-38, Laughlin Air Force Base, Tex.
2. July 1985 - September 1985, Lead-In Fighter Training, AT-38, Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico
3. October 1985 - June 1986, Replacement Training Unit, F-4D, Homestead Air Force Base, Fla.
4. June 1986 - October 1987, F-4E Aircraft Commander, Moody Air Force Base, Ga.
5. October 1987 - January 1988, Replacement Training Unit, F-4G Wild Weasel, George Air Force Base, Calif.
6. February 1988 - October 1990, F-4G Instructor Pilot, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany
7. October 1990 - May 1992, Operating Location Commander, Brigade Air Liaison Officer, 1st Brigade, 3rd Armor Division, Kirch Gons Army Installation, Germany
8. May 1992 - August 1996, F-15E Flight Commander, Instructor/Evaluator Pilot, RAF Lakenheath, United Kingdom
9. August 1996 - June 1997, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
10. September 1997 - May 2000, Chief, Air Defense Division and Targeting Division, Joint Intelligence Center Pacific, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
11. May 2000 - August 2000, Fighter Training Unit, F-15E, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, North Carolina
12. August 2000 - February 2001, Director of Staff, 48th Operations Group, RAF Lakenheath, United Kingdom
13. March 2001 - June 2001, Operations Support Squadron Commander, 332d Expeditionary Group, Al Jaber Air Base, Kuwait
14. June 2001 - September 2002, Director, Wing Plans and Programs, 48th Fighter Wing, RAF Lakenheath, United Kingdom
15. September 2002 - July 2003, Installation Inspector General, 48th Fighter Wing, RAF Lakenheath, United Kingdom
16. July 2003 - June 2004, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
17. July 2004 - March 2006, Deputy Director of Operations/Plans, ALCOM / JTF-AK, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska
18. March 2006 - June 2007, J-3 Director for Operations, ALCOM / JTF-AK, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska
19. June 2007 - Present, Commander, 611th Air Support Group, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: over 2,500 hours
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, F-4D, F-4E, F-4G, F-15E
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with 1 oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with 1 oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with 2 oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with 1 oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal with 4 oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary and Service Medals
Southwest Asia Service Medal with 3 stars
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
1994 US Air Force Anthony C. Shine award winner
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 30, 1984
First Lieutenant May 30, 1986
Captain May 30, 1988
Major April 1, 1996
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2000
Colonel Feb. 1, 2006
(Current as of June 2007)