Chief Master Sergeant Tom L. Baker is the Command Chief Master Sergeant, 3rd Wing, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska. He represents the highest level of enlisted leadership and oversees the combat readiness, health, welfare, development and quality of life for more than 5,700 assigned personnel. He serves as the personal advisor to the wing commander and vice wing commander on all matters affecting the enlisted force and their families. The installation also hosts headquarters for the 11th Air Force, Alaskan Command and Alaskan North American Aerospace Defense Command Region, as well as 42 tenant units.
Chief Baker grew up in Topeka, Kan., and entered the Air Force in May 1985. His background includes positions as an instructor and evaluator loadmaster in C-130E/H and MC-130E/H aircraft, operations superintendent, squadron superintendent, group superintendent and major command functional manger. His assignments include bases in Texas, Florida, New Mexico, North Carolina, the United Kingdom and Germany. Chief Baker has deployed in support of numerous contingency and combat operations in Africa, the Balkans, Central and South America, Southwest Asia and the Pacific regions.
1988 Noncommissioned Officers Preparatory Course, Dyess Air Force Base, Texas
1995 Associates Degree, Aircrew Operations, Community College of the Air Force
1995 Dynamics of International Terrorism Course, AF Special Ops School, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
1996 Noncommissioned Officers Academy, Kapaun Air Station, Germany
1996 Cross Cultural Communication Course, AF Special Ops School, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2001 Navy Senior Enlisted Academy, Newport, R.I.
2007 Bachelors Degree, Technical Management, Magna cum Laude, Embry-Riddle University
2007 Senior Enlisted Joint PME Correspondence Course, Joint Forces Staff College
2007 Joint Senior Leaders' CBRN Course, Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.
2008 USAF Senior Leadership Course, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2008 AFSO 21 Senior Leadership Course, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tenn.
2009 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
1. May - June 1985, Student, Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. June - July 1985, Student, Basic Loadmaster Training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
3. October 1985 - January 1986, C-130 Loadmaster Mission Qualification Training, Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark.
4. January 1986 - October 1988, C-130H Instructor Loadmaster, 773rd Tactical Airlift Squadron, Dyess Air Force Base, Texas
5. October 1988 -April 1992, MC-130E Instructor Loadmaster, 8th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
6. April 1992 - August 1994, MC-130H Evaluator Loadmaster, 550th Special Operations Squadron, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
7. August 1994 - August 1996, MC-130H Evaluator Loadmaster, Aircrew Standardization and Evaluation, 7th Special Operations Squadron, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
8. August 1996 - August 1997, MC-130H Evaluator Loadmaster, Aircrew Standardization and Evaluation, 352nd Special Operations Group, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
9. August 1997 - August 2000, Operations Superintendent, Aviation Tactics Evaluation Group, Fort Bragg, N.C.
10. August 2000 - June 2002, Operations Superintendent, 15th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
11. June 2002 - June 2003, Squadron Superintendent, 16th Operations Support Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
12. June 2003 - February 2004, Superintendent of Aircrew Standardization and Evaluation, 16th Operations Group, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
13. February 2004 - September 2004, Group Superintendent, 16th Operations Group, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
14. September 2004 - April 2005, Chief Loadmaster, Headquarters Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
15. April 2005 - August 2006, Squadron Superintendent, 550th Special Operations Squadron, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
16. August 2006 - May 2007, Group Superintendent, 58th Operations Group, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
17. June 2007 - February 2008, Squadron Superintendent, 3th Airlift Squadron, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
18. February 2008 - August 2009, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 58th Special Operations Wing, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
19. August 2009 - present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 3rd Wing, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Flying Cross
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with Valor and one oak leaf cluster
1997 Mackay Trophy
2001 USAF SSgt Henry E. "Red" Erwin Award
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant Dec. 1, 2003
(Current as of September 2009)