Col. Frank Battistelli is the Commander of the 673d Mission Support Group, 673d Air Base Wing, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska. The group provides support for the 43,500 active duty, reserve, National Guard, retirees, civilians and family members. The group is comprised of more than 2,300 personnel separated into four squadrons: communications, contracting, force support, and security forces providing expeditionary combat support for Alaskan Command; Alaskan NORAD Region; 11th Air Force; U.S. Army Alaska; 3rd Wing; 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division; 2nd Engineer Brigade; 176th Wing, 477th Fighter Group and other tenant unit for the largest military installation in 11th Air Force. The group also maintains combat and contingency readiness forces and supports two forward operating locations for Headquarters Alaskan Command and Headquarters Northern Command.
Colonel Battistelli entered the Air Force in 1990 as a Reserve Officer Training Corps graduate from Troy State University, Troy, Ala. As a staff officer, he served as the branch chief for squadron commander assignments, support officer assignments, promotions policy, and the deputy chief of Selection Board Secretariat. As a joint officer, he was the chief of Readiness Division and Joint Personnel Operations Center before assuming his current position. His command tour includes the 28th Mission Support Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D. Colonel Battistelli is a graduate of both the Air Command and Staff College at Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery, Ala., and the Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
1990 Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice, Troy State University, Troy, Ala.
1996 Masters Degree in Public Administration, University of Maryland, Aviano Air Base, Italy.
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Ala.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Ala.
2010 Masters Degree in National Security and Strategic Studies, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. September 1990 - March 1993, squadron section commander, 524th Fighter Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
2. March 1993 - March 1996, command and control officer, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano AB, Italy.
3. March 1996 - June 1998, flight training officer, 23rd Training Squadron, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
4. June 1998 - June 1999, curriculum development and executive officer, Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
5. July 1999 - July 2001, military personnel flight commander, Malmstrom AFB, Mon.
6. July 2001 - July 2003, chief, Squadron Commander Assignments, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. July 2003 - June 2004, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. June 2004 - July 2006, commander, 28th Mission Support Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
9. July 2006 - July 2007, chief, Officer Promotion Policy Branch, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas.
10. July 2007 - February 2009, chief, Support Officer Assignments and Deputy Chief, Promotion Board Secretariat, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas.
11. July 2009 - June 2010, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2010 - May 2011, deputy chief, Readiness Division and Joint Personnel Operations Center, Headquarters U.S. European Command, Stuttgart, Germany.
13. May 2011 - June 2012, chief, Readiness Division and Joint Personnel Operations Center, HQ U.S. European Command, Stuttgart, Germany.
20. June 2012 - Present, commander, 673d Mission Support Group, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award
National Defense Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant July 20, 1990
First Lieutenant July 23, 1992
Captain, July 23, 94
Major, Sept. 1 2001
Lieutenant Colonel, Aug. 1, 2006
Colonel, Aug. 1, 2011
(Current as of June 2012)