Colonel Travolis A. Simmons is the Commander, 3rd Wing, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska. The 3rd Wing provides the commander, U.S. Pacific Command, trained and equipped tactical air dominance forces, command and control platforms, and strategic and tactical airlift resources for contingency operations and also provides the commander, U.S. Northern Command, immediate early airborne detection, warning, surveillance and interception of hostile forces within the Alaskan North American Aerospace Defense Command Region. The wing flies F-22, C-17, C-12 and E-3 aircraft and is responsible for over 2,200 assigned Airmen.
Colonel Simmons holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Alabama and received his commission through ROTC as a Distinguished Graduate in 1997. He has commanded an Operations Support Squadron, an Adversary Tactics Group and has served in a variety of leadership positions to include instructor/evaluator pilot, Chief of Safety, and Executive Officer to the Deputy Commander, United Nations Command and United States Forces Korea. Prior to his current position, Colonel Simmons was the 57th Wing Vice Commander, Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, where he oversaw the Air Force's most diverse flying wing. The 57th Wing is comprised of 37 squadrons across 11 installations and operates more than 180 aircraft of varying types.
Colonel Simmons’ operational experiences include Operations IRAQI FREEDOM, ENDURING FREEDOM, and NOBLE EAGLE. He is a command pilot with more than 2,000 flying hours in the F-16, F-117A, and F-22A.
1997 Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 Master of Aeronautical Science, Embry Riddle University, Fla.
2010 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Distinguished Graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala. 2011 Master of Science in Military Strategy, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Master of Science in National Resource Strategy, The Eisenhower School, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
2019 Executive Education - Driving Government Performance, Harvard Business School, Harvard University, Boston, Mass.
1. January 1998 – June 1998, Special Assistant to the Commander, Samford University ROTC, Birmingham, Ala.
2. June 1998 – December 1999, Student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard AFB,Texas
3. January 2000 – August 2000, Student, F-16C Initial Qualification Training, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. September 2000 – September 2001, F-16CG Pilot and Squadron Scheduler, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
5. September 2001 – May 2004, F-16C Instructor Pilot and Chief of Training, Dannelly Field, Ala.
6. May 2004 – August 2004, Student, F-117A Initial Qualification Training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
7. August 2004 – May 2007, F-117A Flight Examiner, T-38A Pilot, Flight Commander, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, Holloman AFB, N.M.
8. May 2007 – September 2007, Student, F-22A Initial Qualification Training, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
9. September 2007 – July 2009, F-22A Mission Commander, Chief of Wing Training, Assistant Director of Operations, Langley AFB, Va.
10. August 2009 – June 2010, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. July 2010 – June 2011, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. August 2011 – November 2012, Chief, Commander’s Action Group, USAFCENT, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
13. November 2012 – February 2014, Chief of Safety, 3rd Wing, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
14. February 2014 – May 2015, Commander, 3rd Operations Support Squadron, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
15. July 2015 – June 2016, Student, The Eisenhower School, National Defense University, Washington D.C.
16. June 2016 – July 2018, Executive Officer to the Deputy Commander UNC/USFK, Yongsan Army Garrison, Republic of Korea
17. August 2018 – July 2019, Commander, 57th Adversary Tactics Group, Nellis AFB, Nev.
18. July 2019 – July 2020, Vice Commander, 57th Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
19. July 2020 – Present, Commander, 3rd Wing, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2016 – July 2018, Executive Officer to the Deputy Commander UNC/USFK, Yongsan Army Garrison, Republic of Korea, as a
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,000
Primary aircraft flown: T/AT-38, F-16C/D, F-117A, F-22A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters, with “V” device
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 15 January 1998
First Lieutenant 15 January 2000
Captain 15 January 2002
Major 1 July 2007
Lieutenant Colonel 1 December 2011
Colonel 1 May 2017
(Current as of July 2020)