Col. Kirsten G. Aguilar is the Commander, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson (JBER) and the 673d Air Base Wing, JBER, Alaska. The 673d Air Base Wing consists of four groups operating and maintaining the joint base for air sovereignty, combat training, force staging and throughput operations in support of worldwide contingencies. The installation hosts the headquarters for the U.S. Alaskan Command, Eleventh Air Force, U.S. Army Alaska and the Alaskan North American Aerospace Defense Command Region. The 673d Air Base Wing comprises over 5,500 joint military and civilian personnel, supporting America’s Arctic Warriors and their families. The wing supports and enables three AF total-force wings, an Army Brigade and 55 other major mission partners. In addition, the wing provides medical care to over 35,000 joint service members, dependents, VA patients and retirees throughout Alaska. The 673d Air Base Wing maintains $11.4B in infrastructure encompassing 79,000 acres, ensuring JBER remains America’s premier strategic power projection platform.
Col. Aguilar entered the Air Force in 1997 as a Distinguished Graduate of the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program at the University of New Hampshire. She has served in numerous base level positions and commanded the 647th Force Support Squadron at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii. She served as force support assignments officer, the executive officer to the Air Force Personnel Center commander, and deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. She also served on the Headquarters U.S. Air Force staff as the chief, retirements, separations and force management policy and as the Executive Assistant to the Deputy Commander, United States Pacific Command.
Prior to her current position, she commanded the 21st Mission Support Group at Peterson AFB, Colorado.
1997 Bachelor of Arts, Political Science and the Classics, University of New Hampshire, Durham
2003 Master of Arts, Public Administration, University of Maryland, College Park
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2009 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2011 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval Command and Staff College, Newport, R.I.
2015 Air War College, by correspondence
2016 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Distinguished Graduate, The Eisenhower School, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
2016 Adaptive and Agile Leadership Networks Concentration, Eisenhower School, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
2019 National Security Studies Program, George Washington University, Washington D.C.
2019 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Kenan-Flagler Business School, Chapel Hill
1. July 1997–September 1998, Officer in Charge, 325th Mission Support Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
2. September 1998–June 1999, Chief Customer Support, 325th Mission Support Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
3. June 1999–September 2001, Squadron Section Commander, 100th Maintenance Squadron, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, United Kingdom
4. September 2001–May 2002, Chief, Relocations, Employment and Training, 100th Mission Support Squadron, RAF Mildenhall, U.K.
5. May 2002–July 2005, Assistant Professor of Aerospace Studies, Colorado State University, Fort Collins
6. July 2005–April 2006, Manpower and Organization Flight Commander, 36th Mission Support Squadron, Andersen AFB, Guam
7. April 2006–June 2007, Military Personnel Flight Commander, 36th Mission Support Squadron, Andersen AFB, Guam
8. June 2007–February 2009, Force Support Officer Assignments, HQ Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
9. February 2009–July 2010, Executive Officer to the Commander, HQ Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
10. July 2010–June 2011, Student, Naval Command and Staff College, Newport, R.I.
11. September 2011–July 2013, Commander, 647th Force Support Squadron, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
12. August 2013–July 2015, Chief, Retirements, Separations and Force Management Policy, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington D.C.
13. July 2015–June 2016, Student, Eisenhower School of National Security and Resources Strategy, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
14. July 2016–June 2018, Executive Assistant to the Deputy Commander U.S. Pacific Command, Camp Smith, Hawaii
15. June 2018– July 2020, Commander, 21st Mission Support Group, Peterson AFB, Colo.
16. July 2020– Present, Commander, 673d Air Base Wing, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2016 – July 2018, Executive Assistant to the Deputy Commander, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp Smith, Hawaii, as a colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Navy Commendation Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 24, 1997
First Lieutenant May 24, 1999
Captain May 24, 2001
Major March 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2012
Colonel May 1, 2017
(Current as of February 2021)