Official websites use .mil
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
Lt. Gen. David A. Krumm is the Commander, Alaskan Command, United States Northern Command; Commander, Eleventh Air Force, Pacific Air Forces; and Commander, North American Aerospace Defense Command Region, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska. He is the senior military officer in Alaska, responsible for the integration of all military activities in the Alaskan joint operations area, synchronizing the activities of more than 21,000 active-duty and reserve forces from all services. As Commander of the Alaskan Region of the North American Aerospace Defense Command, General Krumm directs operations to ensure effective surveillance, monitoring and defense of the region’s airspace. He is also responsible for the planning and execution of all homeland defense operations within the area of responsibility, including security and civil support actions. General Krumm also commands Eleventh Air Force, overseeing the training and readiness of five wings and Air Force installations located in Alaska, Hawaii, and Guam.
General Krumm entered the Air Force as a distinguished graduate of the Air Force ROTC program at Auburn University. He has served in a variety of flying, staff and command assignments and has commanded at the flight, squadron and wing level. Prior to his current position, General Krumm was the Director of Global Power Programs, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics, Washington, D.C. He was responsible for the direction, planning and programming of more than 150 Air Force, joint service and international programs which include the F-15, F-16, F-22, F-35, Minuteman III, B-1, B-2, Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile, Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile, B61 and Ground Based Strategic Deterrent programs with a $22 billion annual budget.
General Krumm is a command pilot with more than 3,000 hours in the T-37, T-38, F-15C and F-22. During his career he flew combat missions in support of Operation Southern Watch.
1989 Bachelor of Science, Mathematics, Auburn University, Auburn, Ala.
1990 Master of Education, Mathematics, Auburn University, Auburn, Ala.
1997 Weapons Instructor Course, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
1998 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2005 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence 2008 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, N.C.
2008 Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C. 2009 Phase II, Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2010 Seminar XXI, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass.
2012 Fellow, Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2014 Combined Force Maritime Component Commander Course, Naples, Italy
2015 Combined Force Air Component Commander Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Senior Executives in National and International Security, Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2017 Combined/Joint Force Land Component Commander Course, Carlisle Barracks, Pa. 2018 Joint Flag Officer Warfighting Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. June 1990-August 1991, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. September 1991-June 1992, Student, F-15 Replacement Training Unit, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
3. June 1992-December 1996, Wingman, Flight Instructor, Mission Commander and Flight Examiner, 44th Fighter Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan
4. January 1997-December 1999, Chief of Squadron Weapons and Tactics and Flight Commander, 390th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
5. January 2000-October 2002, Assistant Operations Officer, 85th Test and Evaluation Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
6. November 2002-August 2004, Chief of F-22 Initial Operational Test and Evaluation, Edwards AFB, Calif.
7. September 2004-August 2006, Operations Officer, 43rd Fighter Squadron and 325th Operations Support Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
8. August 2006-June 2008, Commander, 43rd Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
9. July 2008-June 2010, Chief of Staff of the Air Force Fellow, assigned to the U.S. Department of State, Washington D.C.
10. June 2010-June 2012, Commander, 49th Wing, Holloman AFB, N.M.
11. July 2012-May 2013, Fellow, Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
12. June 2013-June 2014, Principal Military Assistant to the Secretary of Defense, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C.
13. July 2014-April 2016, Vice Commander, 5th Air Force, and Director, Pacific Air Forces Joint Air Component Command Element, Yokota AB, Japan
14. May 2016-July 2016, Special Assistant to the Chief of Staff of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force , Washington, D.C.
15. July 2016-July 2018, Deputy Director for Requirements and Capability Development (J8), the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
16. July 2018-June 2019, Director of Strategic Plans, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. June 2019-April 2020, Director, Global Power Programs, Office of the Assistant Secretary Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, Washington, D.C.
18. April 2020-present, Commander, Alaskan Region, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Commander, Alaskan Command, U.S. Northern Command and Commander, Eleventh Air Force, Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2008-June 2010, Chief of Staff of the Air Force Fellow, assigned to the China Desk, U.S. Department of State, Washington, D.C., as a colonel
2. June 2013-June 2014, Principal Military Assistant to the Secretary of Defense, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C., as a colonel
3. July 2016-July 2017, Deputy Director for Requirements and Capability Development (J8), the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C., as a major general
4. April 2020-present, Commander, Alaskan Region, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Commander, Alaskan Command, U.S. Northern Command and Commander, Eleventh Air Force, Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska, as a lieutenant general
Rating: command pilot Flight Hours: more than 3,000
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, F-15C, and F-22
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters Air Medal with oak leaf cluster Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster Joint Commendation Medal Air Force Commendation Medal Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec. 4, 1989
First Lieutenant Dec. 4, 1991
Captain Dec. 4, 1993 Major March 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 2004
Colonel Oct. 1, 2008
Brigadier General Aug. 15, 2014
Major General June 2, 2018
Lieutenant General April 20, 2020
(Current as of April 2020)