Chief Master Sergeant Charles Orf is the Command Chief Master Sergeant, 673d Air Base Wing, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson (JBER), Alaska, where he serves as a principle advisor to the JBER Installation and 673d Air Base Wing Commander on all enlisted matters. He provides leadership and mentorship to the wing’s 4,900 joint service military and civilian personnel providing civil engineer, logistics, communications, contracting, medical services, personnel, security, housing/lodging and morale, welfare and recreation services to more than 34,000 active duty, reserve, National Guard, retirees, civilians and family members. The wing provides mission support to Alaskan Command, U.S. Army Alaska, enables two Air Force total force wings, an Army Infantry Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) and 55 mission partners operating on a 79,000-acre joint base.
Chief Orf enlisted in the Air Force on Jan. 12, 1994, and upon graduation as an Honor Graduate from Basic Military Training, he remained at Lackland Air Force Base (AFB), Texas, for Law Enforcement Specialist technical training. His first duty assignment was with the 650th Security Police Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif. He has held duty positions throughout the spectrum of the Security Forces career field, as well as positions at the Wing and MAJCOM levels. His tours of duty include Edwards AFB, Calif.; Araxos Air Base (AB), Greece; Ramstein AB, Germany; Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.; Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii; Travis AFB, California; and Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea, before being assigned to JBER. His contingency deployments have taken him to Cuba, Italy, Spain, Diego Garcia and Iraq.
1998 Airman Leadership School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2003 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Lackland AFB, Texas
2003 Associate degree in Criminal Justice, Community College of the Air Force
2005 AF Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy (AFSNCOA), correspondence, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2008 AFSNCOA (In-residence), Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2010 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education (online), Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va. 2011 Chief Leadership Course, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2016 Senior Enlisted Legal Orientation Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 2017 Bachelor of Arts, Criminal Justice, magna cum laude, American Military University, Charles Town, W.V. 2017 Continuous Process Improvement for Executives, Institute for Defense & Business, Chapel Hill, N.C.
2018 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II (online), Joint Knowledge Online 2018 Keystone 18-2, National Defense University, Washington D.C.
1. January 1994 - February 1994, Trainee, 322d Basic Military Training Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. February 1994 - April 1994, Student, Law Enforcement Specialist technical school, 343d Training Squadron, Security and Law Enforcement Training Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
3. April 1994 - May 1994, Student, Ground Combat Skills Course Level 1, Air Base Ground Defense Command School, Fort Dix, N.J.
4. May 1994 - August 2000, Entry Controller, Patrolman, Desk Sergeant, Stan/Eval, and noncommissioned officer in charge (NCOIC), Inspector General, Readiness Division, 95th Security Forces Squadron and Air Force Flight Test Center, Edwards AFB, Calif. (June 1995 - September 1995, migrant security, Operation SEA SIGNAL, Joint Task Force 160, 4404th Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba) (January 1997 - May 1997, Staff NCO, Operation JOINT GUARD, 4190th Air Base Squadron (Provisional), San Vito Dei Normanni Air Station, Italy) (October 1998 - December 1998, Response Force Leader, Operation DESERT THUNDER, 496th Air Base Squadron, Moron Air Base, Spain)
5. August 2000 - February 2001, NCOIC, Self-Inspection, 731st Munitions Support Squadron, Araxos AB, Greece
6. March 2001 - September 2005, Flight Sergeant, Physical Security NCO, and NCOIC, Installation Security, 95th Security Forces Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif. (September 2001 - March 2002, Desk Sergeant, Operation ENDURING FREEDOM, 28th Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron and 40th ESFS, Data Masked) (March 2004 - September 2004, Flight Sergeant, Operation IRAQI FREEDOM, 506th Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron, Kirkuk Regional AB, Iraq)
7. October 2005 - March 2007, NCOIC, Security Forces Training, 435th Security Forces Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
8. March 2007 - October 2008, Manager, Force Protection Policy & Guidance, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
9. November 2008 - April 2012, Superintendent, Operations and Training, and Superintendent, Logistics and Resources and Security Forces Manager, 355th Security Forces Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz. (August 2009 - February 2010, Provost Sergeant, Operation IRAQI FREEDOM, 732d Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron/Detachment 5, Contingency Operating Base Adder, Iraq)
10. April 2012 - June 2013, Security Forces Manager, 647th Security Forces Squadron, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
11. June 2013 - April 2015, Superintendent, 647th Air Base Group, JBPH-H, Hawaii
12. May 2015 - May 2016, Superintendent, 60th Mission Support Group, Travis AFB, Calif.
13. May 2016 - May 2017, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan AB, ROK
14. July 2017 - present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 673d Air Base Wing, JBER, Alaska
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Legion of Merit Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters Navy Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters Joint Meritorious Unit Award with one oak leaf cluster Meritorious Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters Coast Guard Meritorious Unit Commendation
Iraq Campaign Medal with three bronze service stars Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Coast Guard Special Operations Service Ribbon Armed Forces Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster NATO Medal with bronze service star
1994 Honor Graduate, Basic Military Training
1998 John Levitow Honor Graduate & Academic Achievement Awards, Airman Leadership School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2003 Distinguished Graduate Award, Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Lackland AFB, Texas
2004 NCO of the Year, Air Force Flight Test Center, Edwards AFB, CA
2005 Lance P. Sijan Award (Junior NCO-level), Air Force Flight Test Center, Edwards AFB, CA 2006 SNCO of the Year, 435th Security Forces Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
2006 Outstanding Security Forces Support Staff SNCO Award, HQ USAFE
2008 Distinguished Graduate Award, Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, AL 2008 Antiterrorism Program Manager of the Year, HQ USAFE and USEUCOM
2009 SNCO of the Year, 355th Security Forces Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ
2010 Lance P. Sijan Award (Senior NCO-level), 355th Fighter Wing, Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
CMSgt 1 December 2011