Col. Jerry L. Johnson is the commander of the 3rd Maintenance Group, 3rd Wing, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska. The 3rd Maintenance Group is responsible for component, equipment, aircraft, maintenance and munitions support for F-15C, F-15E, C-130, C-12 and E-3 aircraft and maintenance operations supporting the 3rd Wing, Headquarters Eleventh Air Force, Headquarters Alaskan Command, Headquarters Alaska NORAD Region, and 94 associate organizations. The group provides all-weather assets, command and control platforms and tactical airlift resources to accomplish air superiority, air battle management, air interdiction, airlift, and air sovereignty missions.
Colonel Johnson received his commission in 1986 as a graduate of the Reserve Officer Training Corps Program from Angelo State University.
1986 Bachelor of Science in Education, Angelo State University, San Angelo, TX
1986 Munitions Officer Course, Lowry AFB, Colo.
1992 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Masters of Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle University
1999 Air Command and Staff College by correspondence
2000 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Air War College by correspondence
2008 Industrial College of the Armed Forces
1. December 1986 - January 1990, Various maintenance assignments, 58th Tactical
Training Wing, Luke AFB, Ariz.
2. January 1990 - January 1991, Officer in charge, Munitions Branch, 8th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
3. January 1991 - February 1993, Officer in charge, 314th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. February 1993 - June 1994, Officer in charge and Chief, Fighter Group Mission Completion Office, Maintenance Operations Center and Quality Assurance, 32nd Fighter Group, Soesterberg Air Base, Netherlands
5. June 1994 - May 1995, Field Support Manager, Low Altitude Navigation and Targeting Infrared for Night (LANTRIN), Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. June 1995 - May 1997, Support System Data Lead, F-22 System Program Office, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. June 1997 - August 1999, Squadron Maintenance Officer, 71st FS, Langley AFB, Va.
8. August 1999 - July 2000, Commander, 1st Component Repair Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
9. July 2000 - July 2001, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. July 2001 - July 2003, Chief Logistics Division, USAFE Inspector General, Ramstein AB, Germany
11. July 2003 - July 2005. Commander, 3rd Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
12. July 2005 - July 2007, Chief, 5th Generation Fighter Division, Logistics Branch, Langley AFB, Va.
13 July 2007 - July 2008, Student Industrial College of the Armed Forces
14. July 2008 - June 2009, Deputy Commander 3rd Maintenance Group, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
15. June 2009 - Present, Commander, 3rd Maintenance Group, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Senior Aircraft Maintenance and Munitions Badge
Hughes Trophy, 71st Fighter Squadron
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 7, 1986
First Lieutenant July 7, 1988
Captain July 7, 1990
Major April 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel Sept .1, 2002
Colonel Feb. 1, 2008
(Current as of August 2009)