Col Harmon S. Lewis, Jr., is the Vice Commander, 3rd Wing, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska. The 3rd Wing provides the commander, U.S. Pacific Command, trained and equipped tactical air dominance forces, command and control platforms, and strategic and tactical airlift resources for contingency operations and also provides the commander, U.S. Northern Command, immediate early airborne detection, warning, surveillance and interception of hostile forces within the Alaskan North American Aerospace Defense Command Region. The wing flies the F-22, C-17, C-12 and E-3 aircraft and is responsible for over 2,200 assigned Airmen.
Col Lewis graduated with Military Distinction from the United States Air Force Academy in 1995. He is a Distinguished Graduate of the C-17 Weapons School and a former United States Air Force Weapons School Instructor Pilot. In his last operational assignment, Col Lewis was the Commander of the 8th Airlift Squadron, McChord Field, Washington, and led his squadron on three combat deployments to the U.S. Central Command’s area of responsibility, flying airlift, airdrop, and aeromedical evacuation missions in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Prior to his assignment to 3rd Wing, Col Lewis served as the United States Air Force Planner for Joint and National Security Matters, responsible for developing Air Force responses to Joint Actions addressed by the National Security Council, Office of the Secretary of Defense and the Joint Chiefs of Staff. As an Air Force Planner, he was also responsible for the preparation of the Chief of Staff, Vice Chief of Staff, and Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations, for Joint Chiefs of Staff deliberation sessions and Operations Deputy sessions on issues such as contingency operations, countering violent extremist organizations, future defense planning scenarios and national military strategy.
1995 Bachelor of Science, Operations Research, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 C-17 Weapons School, McGuire AFB, N.J.
2008 Joint Advanced Warfighting School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2008 Master of Science, Joint Campaign Planning and Strategy, National Defense University, Norfolk, Va. 2012 Air War College (correspondence), Maxwell, AFB, Ala.
2014 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1. July 1995 – December 1995, Lecturer in Mathematical Sciences, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado
2. January 1996 – January 1997, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 37th and 50th Flying Training Squadrons, Columbus Air Force Base (AFB), Miss.
3. February 1997 – May 2000, T-37 Instructor Pilot, Check Pilot, Assistant Flight Commander, 37th and 41st Flying Training Squadrons,Columbus AFB, Miss.
4. June 2000 – July 2004, Deputy Chief of Combat Operations and Tactics, 437th Operational Support Squadron, C-17 Evaluator Pilot, Flight Commander, 14th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
5. August 2004 – June 2007, Course Director, Assistant Director of Operations, 57th Weapons Squadron, USAF Weapons School, McGuire AFB, NJ
6. July 2007 – June 2008, Intermediate Developmental Education, Joint Advanced Warfighting School, Joint Forces Staff College, National Defense University, Norfolk, Va.
7. July 2008 – May 2010, Strategic and Theater Warplanner, Strategy, Plans and Policy Directorate, United States Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
8. June 2010 – June 2011, Executive Officer to the Commander, Headquarters, Eighteenth Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill.
9. July 2011 – May 2013, Commander, 8th Airlift Squadron, McChord Field, Wash.
10. July 2013 – June 2014, Senior Developmental Education, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
11. July 2014 – May 2015, Deputy Chief, Global Mobility and Homeland Operations Division, Headquarters United States Air Force, Pentagon, Va.
12. June 2015 – April 2016, Senior Executive Officer to the Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations, Headquarters United States Air Force, Pentagon, Va.
13. May 2016 – May 2017, Air Force Planner, Joint and National Security Matters, Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations, Headquarters united States Air Force, Pentagon, Va.
14. June 2017 – Present, Vice Commander, 3rd Wing, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Ala.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,775 including more than 384 combat hours
Aircraft flown: T-37B, T-38B, and C-17A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with two campaign stars
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1995
First Lieutenant May 31, 1997
Captain May 31, 1999
Major July 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2010
Colonel August 1, 2016
(Current as of June 2017)